Greetings my Advanced class... Today you will be creating a Word document which you will share with me. You will be answering questions regarding your summer reading assignment. After you have finished the questions, you may begin work on tomorrow's assignment; a document which you will place in your portfolio describing what you hope to learn in this class this year!
7th grade questions on The Honest Truth...
● Early in the story, Mark breaks his grandfather’s pocket watch. How is this significant in the story and symbolic of what’s going on in Mark’s life?
● The author tells the story from two points of view: Mark’s personal experience, and the perspective of Jessie and his parents. How does this affect the story?
● Mark is beaten up by a group of teenagers early in his journey. How do you think that affected Mark’s attitude, and the rest of the journey?
● Mark and his dog, Beau, depend on each other throughout the adventure. How do you feel about Mark’s putting Beau in danger? How might the story have been different if he did not bring Beau along?
● Mark encounters several adults along the way. Though they are suspicious of his traveling alone, only Wesley discovers the real reason for what Mark is doing. Why do you think the other adults Mark met didn’t do more to help him?
● Loyalty is a major theme in this book. Discuss examples of loyalty throughout the story.
● Jessie has to decide whether to tell Mark’s parents where he is and what he’s doing. Do you agree with her decision? How might the story have changed if her decision had been different?
● Jessie and Mark communicate through haiku poems. Why do you think they like communicating that way? How might it be challenging or difficult to record feelings and observations that way?
8th grade questions on The Worst Class Trip Ever...
● Wyatt and his friends make the decision to help their friend Matt when he is taken by the men they suspect to be terrorists. What would you have done if you were in this situation?
● Wyatt, Matt, and other classmates deceive their teachers and other adults to pursue the characters they suspect to be terrorists. Do you think their dishonesty is justified? Why or why not?
● The characters in this story are able to use current technology to help solve the mystery of the suspected terrorists. How would their adventure have turned out differently if these technologies did not exist?
● Describe a field trip you have been on which may have not been the best, in your opinion. How would you change the field trip to make it better for the students?
● Have you ever been in a situation where someone appeared to be suspicious of you? Describe the situation and how did you react to it?
● Have you ever been in a situation where you were suspicious of someone else? Describe the situation.