Monday - Wednesday: Students will begin designing a game on a topic of their choice using the Design Cycle steps. Today the students will begin the Inquiring and analysing step keeping their notes on Office365. The students will:
1. explain and justify the need - Why do middle school students need another video game when there are so many out there already? Students will create a survey to give to their fellow students as to what they would like to see in a video game.
2. Identify and prioritize the research - Which websites should they use to research games appropriate for middle school students? What are students looking for in a video game? Students will list the websites they used for research and list their findings from their survey of students.
3. Analyse a range of existing products - What is already available to students now? Does it meet the needs of what students are looking for in a quality video game?
4. Summarize the analysis of the research - Develop a design brief" - The students will prepare a design brief sharing the research and survey results and share this brief on Office365 with Mrs. MacDonald by Wednesday afternoon, Aug. 31st.
Thursday - Friday: Students will begin continue a game on a topic of their choice using the Design Cycle steps. Today the students will begin the "Developing Ideas" step and will keep their notes on Office365.
1. The students will develop ideas and create layout sketches of the different screens for their game, gathering feedback from the target market to inform development.
2. Students will identify text, images and other media suitable to the purpose of the game, demonstrating their understanding of the graphic interface design.
3. The students will present a final game solution (prototype which may be a storyboard or other element of their choice) that will meet the stated needs from the Inquiry step. They will share their prototype design with Mrs. MacDonald by the end of class on Wednesday, Sept. 7th.